Breast augmentation is a type of surgery which is used for restoring or increasing size of the breast with the help of saline implants, silicone gel implants and fat transfers. Nowadays, breast enlargement is a common and popular aesthetic surgical procedures which helps women regain, enhance as well as restore balance of their figure.
In the following sections we will look at:
- Situations when you should consider having breast augmentation surgery.
- How surgery is performed?
- Location where breast implant is placed.
- Types of implants which are used.
- Factors affecting type and size of breast augmentation.
- Are these procedures safe?
- What is involved in post-operative care?
An Overview of Breast Enlargement Surgery
When breast enlargement is the best option?
Some of the situations when this type of surgery becomes necessary are:
- If a woman wants to enhance her bust to look more sexy
- In case weight loss, pregnancy or aging has negatively affected shape as well as size of the breasts.
- If symmetry is to be restored when one of the breasts is a bit smaller compared to other one.
How the surgery is performed?
There are different techniques which are used for this type of breast augmentation surgery. Let us look at the methods here:
- In case breast implants are used then an incision is made, breast tissues are lifted to create a pocket in the breast area where the implant is placed.
- There is another method where fat transfer is performed. In this procedure your own fat will be taken from areas such as thighs or abdomen, processed and then the fat is injected into breast. This technique limits the size of enhancement and has the possibility of fat absorption
Where are the breast implants placed?
Normally the implant is placed:
- Below the pectoral muscle present between chest wall and the breast tissue.
- The other option consists of placing the implant below breast tissue but over the pectoral muscle.
The incision is generally made in the inframammary (below the breast in the crease) or in the periareolar location (at the inferior edge of the areola which is the dark region surrounding the nipple). A less likely incision is transaxillary which is in the armpit. The least likely incision used is the transumbilical which is in the navel.
Type of Implants
According to FDA, there are two kinds of breast implants which can be sold in the country, these are:
- Saline filled: These have sterile salt water and can be filled during surgery or may be prefilled as well.
- Silicone gel filled: These contain elastic gel and are made in different shapes to fit any kind of requirement.
What factors effect type and size of breast augmentation?
Some of the factors which are taken into consideration by surgeons while recommending any specific type of breast enlargement surgery include:
- Goal you want to achieve with breast enhancement.
- Your medical history.
- Your body frame as well as body mass.
- Your preferences with respect to size of breast and placement of the incision.
Is it a safe procedure?
It is generally a very safe procedure however, as in any other type of surgery you need to go for periodic examinations for monitoring the breast implants.
After the surgery you will have to wear a surgical bra as suggested by your surgeon (like support bra), take antibiotics on time and ambulate as much as possible to prevent blood clots in the legs which can travel to the lungs
For the first few weeks you should not try lifting or pushing heavy objects and also avoid strenuous activities.
As part of long term care you should undergo routine mammograms as per the frequency suggested by your surgeon.
A Final Note
Thus as we can see breast augmentation surgery can effectively enhance your appearance and help you regain your self-confidence lost due to small or irregularly shaped breasts.