Fat is the most natural of fillers and is usually in abundant supply. It replaces the missing fat which results in depressions. It can also be used to simulate increased cheek bone projection.
- It’s a natural filler
- Doesn’t elicit any foreign body or allergic reaction
- Usually in abundant supply
- Can be used in large quantities
- It involves a minor procedure
- It results in postoperative swelling
Fat grafting is performed under local anesthesia where fat is removed using a small needle-like instrument called a microcannula. The fat is then processed and reinjected.
There is usually a fair amount of swelling which is minimized with elevation and cold compresses. You may return to work after 4-7 days.